Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chris Reviews Ted

Before I really dive into this review let me first say that I had a heck of a time seeing this movie. Me and a friend went to go see it at one theater at 11 at night and it was sold out. Somehow Ted had sold out but there were plenty of tickets to see The Amazing Spiderman (WTF?). I then had to drive another 20 minutes to go see this in a different theater. So if this had been bad I would have been really pissed off. Luckily it managed to keep me entertained enough to keep me from getting that mad. Anyways now lets review this film.

When I first saw the trailers for this I thought it had the potential to be downright terrible. It was Seth Macfarlane's first live action film and it was about a grown man who hangs out with a living teddy bear. I just thought it sounded really stupid, but then it started getting good reviews so I started to get interested. After watching it I understand why people are really enjoying this film. While I may not like it as much as some, I did have a good time watching it.

This film clearly has Seth Macfarlane's hands all over it, the writing, the music and the characters all seem like they come straight out of Family Guy. That was both a strength and a weakness as it had the elements that i love about that show and the elements I dislike as well. The humor is always revolving around pop culture references almost to a fault and sometimes the jokes go on too long, past the point of being funny. That being said I really dug the CGI bear and thought that Ted was a really fun and interesting character.

I think my main issues with this film had more to do with how formulaic the story was. It followed the same typical comedy formula about the guy who has to mature to win back his girlfriend and that just really pissed me off. It was yet another movie where about half way through I knew exactly what was going to happen with the story. Still when the movie is funny it is really funny and their are a couple of funny cameos from other actors that are enjoyable. All in all Ted is an average R rated comedy that you can have fun watching late at night with some friends.

MY RATING 

3.5 out of 5

Chris "Da Franchize" Hart    

No comments:

Post a Comment