Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chris Reviews Safety Not Guaranteed

When I first saw the trailers for this film I was very intrigued with the premise. The story revolves around a awkward girl named Darius (Aubrey Plaza) who is interning at a magazine in Seattle. One of the writers wants to do a story on a guy who put an ad in the paper looking for someone to travel back in time with him. So Darius and another intern go with the writer to investigate this story. She meets the guy who put out the ad named Kenneth (Mark Duplass) and earns his trust to become his partner to go back in time. I wont divulge any more info because this is an excellent film and I do not want to ruin it for you.

The Good-

 The performances really stand out in this. Aubrey Plaza plays basically the same character she does on Parks in Recreation but with a bit more emotion and it really works in this film. Mark Duplass nails this role, playing a quirky genius who obviously had a rough childhood. Not only is the acting great but the story is fun as hell, it goes from quirky comedy to thriller to sci-fi throughout the course film. All of these elements blend together to make a very enjoyable story.

The Bad-

I really did not have any complaints with this film. I got everything I was wanting out of this film and more. I guess if you don't like Indie Comedy films you could have a problem with it, but even then this is definitely one of the better films in the genre.

Summary-

This is an excellent comedy that combines great performances with an excellent story.I definitely want to see  Aubrey Plaza in more films and I am probably going to go back and watch some more Mark Duplass films because he is awesome. I highly recommend this film!!!

MY RATING-

4.5 out of 5

Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment