Monday, April 15, 2013

Kevin's Review of 42

I have become a big fan of the biography movies for a lot of reasons, but mostly because they are almost always good.  In recent memory, the only one that didn't do well with critics was J. EdgarRay, Walk the Line, and 127 Hours are among my favorites.  How did 42 stack up next to these great films?

There's a lot to like about 42, but one thing that stood out to me was Chadwick Boseman's performance as Jackie Robinson.  I was skeptical seeing a no-namer play the lead of a film of this caliber, but I wasn't disappointed.  Boseman gives a great performance and he will surely be showing up again soon.  If you love baseball (who doesn't? If you don't, you are un-American), you will at least enjoy this film.  There is a lot of gameplay sequences that are fun to watch, to say the least.  Plus, one of my favorite sounds in the world is a wood bat cracking hard against a baseball, and there's plenty of that!  This film is very honest to the racism that Jackie Robinson had to endure, and it doesn't hold back in that respect.  N-words everywhere.  It will piss you off and this film does a good job of doing that when it comes to the racist elements. 

One thing that depressed the hell out of me was seeing Harrison Ford act in this film.  I play through my mind all the great films he's in, namely Star Wars and the Indiana Jones films, and it makes me sad to see how downhill he has gone, both as an actor and physically.  So it was depressing to say the least.  Another complaint I have about this film is how anti-climatic it was.  With so much build up, there was very little payoff which was slightly disappointing.  This film was also predictable, however, you have to expect that going into a sports film. 

42 is a bold entry to the sports/biography genre.  Arguably the best aspect of this film is a strong performance by Chadwick Boseman.  I look forward to seeing him in future roles.  Strongly recommended for a general audience, especially if you enjoy baseball.

MY RATING:

3.5 out of 5

-KEVIN MILLWARD-

No comments:

Post a Comment