Friday, April 26, 2013

Kevin Reviews Pain & Gain

I knew the only way I would end up seeing this film is if I went with a group of friends. And of course that's what happened. Rotten Tomatoes consensus says that this is Michael Bay's most thought-provoking film. We jokingly said "so it goes from a kindergarten level to a 5th grade level?" Is this true, or is this just another Michael Bay piece of crap?

Yeah, this film is pretty much crap. However, it had some hilarious moments that made it somewhat bearable through the second act. Mark Wahlberg gives a solid performance and DAMN he has gotten big since The Departed. I like Mark Wahlberg, I think he's a great actor although he seems to be type-casted as the Boston hardass. He pretty much plays this character throughout this film, but he makes it fun to watch. I really like Tony Shalhoub and he doesn't disappoint as THAT douche bag at the gym. Another good aspect of this film is there is one, maybe two explosions in the whole film, which is very tame for a Michael Bay film. As I said before, this is probably Michael Bay's funniest movie, and that's about all the positive things I have to say about this film.

This movie is garbage. "This is a true story"? I call bullshit on that. This film is very sensationalized and over-the-top, and it gets away from itself. However, Michael Bay felt the need to remind the audience that this is a true story at the beginning of the third act, which goes to show even he recognizes the ridiculousness of this movie. This film is poorly written, and some scenes end on what feels like is the middle of a dialogue scene. The third act is beyond ridiculous and is just painful to watch, making this film overlong by about 25 minutes. If this movie had been shortened, it could have gotten an extra half star from me. But no.

Pain & Gain is just another Michael Bay film. Nothing special about it, other than the fact that it is his funniest film to date. I had a good time seeing it with my crew and I'm sure if I hadn't seen it with them, I would have disliked this even more. However, there are a few laughs in this film that makes it somewhat watchable...somewhat.

MY RATING:

2 out of 5

-KEVIN MILLWARD- 

No comments:

Post a Comment