Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chris Reviews Jurassic Park 3D

I had been trying to see this with a friend for the past few weeks but just had not been able to get our schedules matched up. Finally this past Tuesday we were able to see it at 11:15 am and were literally the only people in the theater and probably in the entire building outside of the staff. My friend and I are both big fans of Jurassic Park but I had not seen the film in quite a few years and was looking forward to watching it through a much more critical lens. Does Jurassic Park still hold up as one of the premier Sci-fi/Adventure films of a generation? Read below to find out.

The Good-

Jurassic Park remains as powerful as ever. I had seen the sequels in theaters but this film came out before I was born so I never had a chance to experience it on the big screen, and wow was it awesome! This is Spielberg at his best as he creates a tense monster film that features solid performances, fantastic action sequences and effects as well as a classic John Williams score. I don't think I need to go into too much detail about the film because so much has already been written about it. Suffice it to say that Jurassic Park stands out as one of the best Sci-fi films of all time and holds up surprisingly well despite it being one of the first films to use a lot of CGI (they did still use a lot of animatronics and practical effects though).   

The Bad-

I'm not a big fan of 3D although it is growing on me. So with my bias against 3D in mind, I thought the 3D aspect of the film was pretty mediocre. There were a couple interesting scenes but nothing stood out as looking particularly cool. There were also a number of shots where tree limbs and light poles would jut out and distract from what was going on which was very irritating. The other thing that typically annoys me about 3D is that by wearing the glasses it darkens the image, it was not a huge deal in this film but it still annoyed me. So my complaints are pretty much all about the 3D rather than the film itself. There are a couple of minor stupid things that happen in the film that I noticed this time but nothing that would change my opinion of this being in my top 100 favorite films.

Summary-
 
So like I said, Jurassic Park is probably one of the best Sci-fi/Adventure films out there. It is a film that works for all ages as I still appreciate the film as much as I did when I was 5 years old. It easily fits into my top 100 favorite films of all time. The 3D on the other hand is extremely mediocre but I don't think that should stop you from seeing this classic film in theaters.

MY RATING-
 
4.5 out of 5

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment