Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Django Unchained is OFF THE CHAIN!!!

Everybody and their mom knows I was excited for this film. I watched the trailer everyday and constantly reminded my dad that "the 'D' is silent". Quentin Tarantino is such a bold and ambitious filmmaker who has changed the playing field that is film and there is not a single film of his that I dislike. Some I love more than others, but there is no such thing as a bad Tarantino film (yet). I was a little nervous going in because I was anticipating this film so much. Would it be a Tarantino "like" film, or a Tarantino "love" film?

I will start by saying this movie is very different from Tarantino's previous works. As far as I know, this is his first film that follows the traditional chronological order. Additionally, we follow Django around most of the film, similar to how we follow the Bride in the Kill Bill series. This is different from, say, Pulp Fiction or Inglourious Basterds. While I prefer the more epic storytelling style better, that didn't hold me back from loving this film. The writing in this film doesn't disappoint. It meets the high standard Tarantino has set with his previous films. There really wasn't a dull moment in this film. This film was very dark at times, from a vicious Mandingo fight (in my opinion, the most brutal scene), to a man getting ripped apart by bloodthirsty dogs. However, a very healthy dose of humor made it easier to watch. There were scenes where I couldn't believe my eyes, and there were other scenes where I was in tears from laughter, and neither side seemed to outweigh the other. Jamie Foxx was good in this, however, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio really stole the show. I really liked Waltz's character as a German bounty hunter better than his portrayal as "The Jew Hunter" in Inglourious Basterds. It was also clever how they stuck in the original Django in the bar scene. One actor that I wish I could have seen more of was Walton Goggins as Billy Crash. I have always said he is a great actor and I loved his character on The Shield, I just wish we got to see more of his character in this work. There were some interesting musical cues to say the least. I love the soundtrack, especially the "Django" theme. Even the hip-hop worked for such a historical setting, which was hilariously awesome, and maybe even a first for cinema. Django Unchained is anything but predictable, and I absolutely loved the last 30 minutes of the film.

I don't have a lot of complaints about this film, but I do have a few that are worth discussing. First and foremost: there are a few pacing issues in Django Unchained, most prominently near the climax of the film. Some scenes seemed a bit too long, and some were too short. However, these pacing issues weren't enough to hinder the film's flow. Secondly, I thought Quentin Tarantino's appearance in this film should have been omitted. His performance was poor, to say the least. Maybe I've watched one too many interviews with him, but I wasn't buying his fake southern accent. Pulp Fiction Tarantino: Yes. Django Unchained Tarantino: No. I guess that's what you get from a director that always has cameos in his films: either a hit or miss.

Django Unchained is one of the best films I've seen this year, if not, the best. It's right up there with Looper, and I am already anticipating Django's Blu-Ray release. Django Unchained is a bloody, brutal, hilarious, and bold film that throws us into America's dark past of slavery and adds a dash of fantasy to it to make a phenomenal Western (or Southern, as QT insists it is?). Of all of Quentin Tarantino's films, I'd say this is one that is the most straightforward and easiest to follow, which may be a good entry film for QT newbies to start at. All in all, this is a highly recommended film that I consider to be classic Tarantino.

MY RATING:

5 out of 5

-Kevin A. Millward

No comments:

Post a Comment