Saturday, December 15, 2012

Chris Reviews The Hobbit

A week ago I attended the AMC Lord of the Rings marathon. It was a lot of fun and refreshed my memory on one of my favorite film series ever. Not only did it help me rediscover films that I loved but It also got me excited for the Hobbit release. Is the Hobbit an epic adventure on the same level as the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Read below to find out...

The Good-

I have always enjoyed the story of the Hobbit. It is much more lighthearted than  the Lord of the Rings as it was meant to be a children's story. The film is definitely able to bring to life that feeling of fun and adventure from the book. Visual effects have also drastically improved since the LOTR trilogy came out as well and thus the CGI looks more polished than its predecessors. The acting was pretty good as well and Martin Freeman nails the role of Bilbo.

The Bad-

I saw the film in IMAX 3D so that I could see the 9 minute sneak peak of Star Trek: Into Darkness (which was awesome!) but that also gave me a headache. I have never been a 3D person and for a film that is so long I had a hard time, but that's just me. The length is a bit of a problem as it does feel a bit more drawn out than it should be. I wish we could have gotten further in the story because most of my favorite parts of the Hobbit come in what will be the 2nd and 3rd films. The CGI while it looks good is a little overused, I would have preferred more practical effects for the creatures. The pacing is a little problematic as well, especially in the 1st act but it gets better as the film progresses.

Summary-

The Hobbit  unfortunately is not as great as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. That being said it is still a pretty good movie in its own right. I think a lot of peoples issues with the film have more to do with it not meeting expectations rather than it being a poor film. The choice to split the film into 3 parts definitely feels like a money grab ploy but they have pulled it off, because I really want to see the next film now. All in all the Hobbit is a fun fantasy adventure film that is a promising start to a hopefully very good trilogy.

MY RATING-

4 out of 5

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment