Sunday, June 2, 2013

5 Films I Love That Bombed

Yesterday I decided to try and piss everyone off by listing my five films that I hate that everyone loves. It was not as controversial of a list as I was hoping but I think that is because the films I choose don't hold up particularly well. Today I want to do something a little bit different and make myself look even more stupid. I want to choose movies that I liked that bombed in the theaters and did not do well critically either. Most of these came out when I was in Elementary School and Middle School so some of my love for them is probably nostalgia but it is love none the less. 

5. Planet of the Apes (2001)


 I was 9 years old when this came out and I remember instantly enjoying it. Having seen and loved the original 5 films in the franchise as well as the latest film Rise of the Planet of the Apes this does not hold up quite as well, but it still has a sort of B movie charm. While it did fairly well at the Box Office making over $379 million worldwide with a $130 million budget it did not do as well with the critics. It received a 45 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, a 50/100 metascore, and a 5.6 on IMDB to go along with a couple of Razzies. 




4. The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)


 For those of you that don't know, this was the big budget sequel to a very good low budget sci-fi film Pitch Black. When I first saw this in theaters I had not seen the first film though. While this is a pretty poorly written film it is very ambitious. While Pitch Black was more in the vein of the Alien franchise this is is an adventure film that spans across the galaxy. The visuals were pretty awesome and Riddick is a pretty bad ass character. Critics and Audiences seemed to disagree as it only made a little over $115 million worldwide despite an $105 million budget. Not to mention its 29 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, 38/100 metascore and 6.6 on IMDB and a worst actor Razzie nomination for Vin Diesel. We are getting another sequel soon though!

 3. The Core (2003)


 My Dad and I are both Disaster film enthusiasts and I vividly remember loving this film in the theaters. Yes it has a ridiculous premise, hilariously bad moments and some very poor acting but those are all trademarks of the genre. You watch these films to see people get killed in interesting and horrific ways, see cities get destroyed and just to have fun. It did not gain a wide audience though as it only made $73 million worldwide with a $60 million budget. Critically it received a 41 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, a 48/100 metascore and a 5.3 on IMDB.  




2. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)


 This would become the final dagger in the Star Trek franchise that would lead to a reboot 6 years later. While many critics found the film very cold, the acting stiff and an overall tired feeling, I had a blast. This featured arguably the best and most exhilarating space battles of the franchise (better than the new films despite a substantially smaller budget) and a pretty cool premise. Unfortunatly nobody came to see the film though as it only grossed $67million worldwide with a $60 million budget. The critics hated this one too as it received a 38 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, 51/100 metascore and a 6.3 on IMDB. Watch out for a very skinny Tom Hardy's U.S. debut in this as well! 



1. Reign of Fire (2002)

 While the film may not quite live up to its fantastic premise (Dragon Apocalypse!) it still is a thoroughly enjoyable film that has some pretty good effects, a good cast (Matthew McConaughey, Christian Bale, Gerard Butler and Izabella Scorupco) and just feels very fresh and original. It did not do that well at the box office though as it only grossed $82 million worldwide with a $60 million budget. The critics panned it as well as it received a 40 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, a 39/100 metascore and a 6.1 on IMDB. 





Summary-

Again this is not the most comprehensive list as I am sure there are numerous other films that I have enjoyed that did not do well with audiences or critics but these were the ones that I felt the strongest about. Let me know what your favorite films that bombed where in the comments.

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment