Saturday, June 1, 2013

5 Films I Hate That Everyone Loves

After suffering through Star Trek Into Darkness twice I realized that I truly hate that movie. I have made my feelings pretty clear in my review of the film so I won't retread those thoughts here but simply put it is arguably my least favorite Star Trek film (I think I like Star Trek V better....yikes!). Unfortunately for me I appear to be in the minority as it has grossed well over $200 mill worldwide and is at 87 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and has made it into the IMDB top 250. This made me wonder what where some other films that alienated me from the rest of the movie watching public? So here is a countdown of the top 5 films that were successful both commercially ($200 mill+) and critically (Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) that I did not like (excluding Star Trek Into Darkness). 

5. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

When this came out I wrote a review on this blog that pretty much ripped the film to shreds. I thought it was an unnecessary, unoriginal and poorly written film that had only mediocre effects. Critically it did pretty well although not spectacular with a 66/100 metascore, 73 percent and certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.2 on IMDB. It did extremely well in the box office grossing over $260 million domestically and over $700 million worldwide.





4. Live Free Or Die Hard  (2007)

This one might surprise people because I am a huge fan of the Die Hard Franchise and a fan of these type of action films but I hated this one. I felt that they turned John McClane into a superhero in contrast to him as the average Joe who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time that he was in the previous films. It made the character a lot less relatable and I just could not get into the film. Clearly I was in the minority in my opinion though as it scored a 69/100 metascore, and 81 percent and certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.3 on IMDB. It also grossed over $134 million domestically and over $380 million worldwide. The next film in the franchise did not do quite as well though.....


3. Lincoln (2012)

I really do not get the mass critical praise for this film. I am not someone who gets bored easily by films but man this made me want to fall asleep. This coming from a history major and hopeful history graduate student who loves films like Gods and Generals. Daniel Day Lewis gives a good performance but its basically him hunched over in dark rooms and features a lot of exposition. This definitely felt like a movie that everyone wanted to say they liked just to seem cultured and smart. It received an 86/100 metascore, 89 percent and certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.6 on IMDB not to mention winning 2 Oscars. It also made over $180 million domestically and $274 million worldwide.

 2. Avatar (2009)

This is the most interesting film on the list because when I initially saw it I enjoyed it. Unfortunately upon multiple viewings my opinion of the film got worse and worse. I can understand enjoying it as big budget escapist entertainment but the plot is way too thin and the acting too poor to be considered an all time classic. Most of the world seems to disagree with me as it received an 83/100 metascore, an 83 percent and certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.0 on IMDB not to mention winning 3 Oscars. The critical response was strong but the audience response was even greater as it became the #1 all time highest grossing film as it made over $760 million domestically and over $2.7 billion worldwide.


1. Titanic (1997)

Another James Cameron film makes the list but many of my problems with this film are similar to Avatar. I have tried to get into this film multiple times but I always end up skipping to the end of the movie so I can see the ship sink, which is a pretty cool scene. I think part of my dislike for this movie has to do with the fact that I am not the target demographic but I still do not think this is a good film. The critics disagreed though as it garnered a 74/100 metascore, an 88 percent and certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.6 on IMDB not to mention the 11 Oscars it won. It did even better at the box office as it was the #1 all time highest grossing film till Avatar beat it. It made over $650 million domestically and $2.1 billion worldwide.

Summary-

This is by no means an exhaustive list of popular films that I hate but merely what I could come up with after reading over all of my old reviews today. There were a number of films that almost made the list (The Hangover for example) but these stood out the most. What are some your least favorite films that everyone seems to love? Share your thought by commenting below. I am also working on a list of films that are highly praised by critics that I hate and another list of films that are considered failures that I love. So look out for those soon!

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart



No comments:

Post a Comment