Monday, February 18, 2013

This Weeks Blu-ray Releases

While last weeks Blu-ray Releases were rather lackluster this week there is a lot to choose from. Whether you like HBO's latest hit show or some good old fashioned Arnold action films there is plenty of Blu-rays for everyone. So without further ado lets dig into this weeks Blu-ray releases.

New Films-
 
Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season

This is probably my favorite show on television right now (The Walking Dead is second). I liked the first season based more on my interest in the genre and the storyline but in Season 2 it really grabbed me. It features probably my favorite television episode ever in The Battle of Blackwater which is directed by Neil Marshall and the entire episode focuses entirely on the battle. Game of Thrones is just a fantastic all around show that features fantastic performances, amazing production quality and is a lot of fun. The Blu-ray is supposed to look gorgeous so this is an instant purchase! (Its currently only $29.99 on Amazon which is marked down about 50 dollars so pick it up now!)

 
Argo

One of my favorite films of last year and the film that I think is most likely to win Best Picture at the Oscars (Django is most deserving). An enjoyable historical drama that is yet another fine Ben Affleck directorial effort. I could recommend watching this film to just about anybody. This is another must have Blu-ray!

 





Sinister

This is a film that I have heard a lot about and has gotten pretty good reviews overall. If you are a Spill.com fan you should have heard of it as the former member of the Spill Crew “Carlyle” is one of the writers of the film. I am not a big horror guy but based on that and the reviews I have read I may give this a watch. Possibly a good blind buy and fans of the film should want to pick this up.

 




Anna Karenina

 A famous Tolstoy novel that came out this year with relatively low fanfare. I sort of wanted to see it but could not find it at any theaters near me so I forgot about it. It is supposed to be a very interesting film visually and has good reviews on its video and audio quality. Probably worth a rental to see if it floats your boat but fans of the film can pick it up with confidence.







Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

 When I was mentioning that Game of Thrones is my favorite show on Television right now, Battlestar Galactica is my favorite Television show of all time. Sadly they have struggled to establish any spin off series as Caprica failed and Blood and Chrome did not make it past the Pilot which became a web series. I watched the first few parts of the series and thought it was OK but nowhere near the level of BSG. I would only recommend this to die hard fans of the series like myself. 


 


  
Other Notable Releases-

Fun Size
Sushi Girl
Atlas Shrugged: Part II
The Package

Older Films and Re-Releases

Top Gun 3D

They just ran the 3D re-release in theaters this past week and now they are releasing it on Blu-ray. I did not get a chance to see the 3D but I’m not a big fan of 3D and there is a just fine non 3D version out. This is one of my guilty pleasure type favorite films but I don't need it bad enough to convert to 3D. I think I'll hold onto my money.







The Running Man (Olive Films)

 A classic Arnold Sci-fi film that is definitely worth a watch. The previous Blu-ray version of the film is out of print and apparently had better audio quality and more supplements. That being said the newer version is supposed to have slightly better video quality. I would wait for the price to come down ($19.99) but at least there are copies of the film again.

 





The Terminator (Remastered)

Another Arnold Sci-fi classic that is probably one of the best Sci-fi films of all time. If you have not watched the film go to the store and buy this immediately! If you have the older version throw it in the trash now because this is a LOT better in terms of audio and visual quality. This is an instant purchase!

 





Best in Show

One of my favorite comedies and probably the best Mockumentary out there. I usually don’t buy comedies but this is one that is worth purchasing!
 









Other Notable Releases-

Criterion: On The Waterfront
The Insider
The Monster Squad
Les Miserables (1958)
Julius Caesar
The Thief of Bagdad
Highlander 2
Don Giovanni
Innocent Bystanders
Live Nude Girls
Special Forces
Irreconcilable Differences
That Cold Day
The Nest
Prison
Easter Parade
Night of Demons 2
Undefeated
Hats Off to Dr. Seuss


Summary-

All in all this is a pretty great week for buying Blu-rays. Next week is a lot slower but there are still a couple of discs worth picking up. So stay tuned and enjoy the many great releases this week!

 -Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment