Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blu-ray Buying Guide: Week of 2/11-2/17

This is another new weekly series that will be incorporated here at Two Dudes Doing Movie Reviews. At the beginning of each week we will try to preview the major Blu-ray releases of the week and hopefully make some recommendations. This week there is essentially one big theme in terms of Blu-ray releases and that is James Bond.

Skyfall-

It makes its way on to Blu-ray on Tuesday and boy am I excited. It was one of the few films that actually met my expectations this year after moderate disappointments in Prometheus and The Dark Knight Rises. From what I have read it looks gorgeous on Blu-ray which is not a big surprise considering the impressive work by star cinematographer Roger Deakins. I cant wait to pick this one up and put the disc in the empty slot in my Bond 50 set!

 


Bond Store Exclusives-

When Bond 50 came out they also released all of the films on single discs. That being said, all of the new to blu-ray discs where exclusive to either Best Buy, Target or Walmart. Starting on Tuesday these films will now be available everywhere else. I really don’t think this is that big of a deal because it has still been fairly easy to pick up these films already. Still if you have not had a chance to pick up one of the previously unreleased Bond Blu-ray’s now you can order them on Amazon.

The Perks of Being a Wildflower-


As you can probably guess I really have no desire to pick this one up. This just looks like another run of the mill teenage drama, although it does have a very good IMDB rating as it is on the low end of the Top 250 and has a good rating on Rotten Tomatoes as well. Still I’m not sure this would be a week one Blu-ray purchase for anyone outside of fans of the film. This is a rental at best for me.

 




The Man with the Iron Fists-

I made the poor decision of seeing this in theaters. I really wanted it to be good as I am a fan of RZA and the cast and premise was intriguing. Unfortunately it made absolutely no sense and really was just a string of fight scenes and weird CGI. I came out with a similar feeling as to what I had after seeing Sucker Punch although this was slightly more entertaining. I’m sure this looks gorgeous on Blu-ray but it really is not worth your time or money.   

 


 TV Shows-

Two shows that I have zero interest in come out on Blu-ray this week. Weeds: The Final Season and Nurse Jackie: Season 4. Weeds always seemed like the very watered down version of Breaking Bad as it is about a suburban mom who starts dealing weed. Nurse Jackie I really don’t know a lot about other than its about a Nurse and that its been nominated for some Golden Globes in the past. But overall this is a pretty slow week in terms of TV Shows on Blu-ray.

 


Other Notable Releases-
Criterion Collection: The Kid With a Bike (2011)
In Like Flint (Limited to 3000 copies)- 1967
The Sessions (2012)
Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)
Pony Soldier (Limited to 3000 copies)- 1952
The Massage Parlor Murders (1972)
Die Screaming, Marianne (1971)
House of Whipcord (1974)
The Comeback (1978)
Schizo (1976)
Rise of the Zombies (2012)

Summary-

All in all this is a pretty slow week for Blu-ray releases outside of Skyfall. I recommend you go ahead and order your copy of that now or pick it up in stores on Tuesday but you can hold off on the rest of the releases this week. Looking ahead, next week looks loaded with great releases so hold on to your money till then. 

-Chris “Da Franchize” Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment