Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chris Reviews Zero Dark Thirty

I have wanted to see this for quite some time but had not gotten a chance to see it yet. I am a fan of this emerging genre of war films that cover The War on Terror. So is this the definitive film of this new genre or simply your average Oscar contender?

The Good-

Zero Dark Thirty is definitely a film that is trying to push peoples buttons and make them ask questions about the current state of the world. The torture scene has drawn a lot of criticism and it is fairly graphic but I think that is the point. The film is trying to make us ask ourselves how far would we go to protect our country and what is crossing the line. Kathryn Bigelow has really developed a skill at making these journalistic type films about the modern United States government and military. (she also directed The Hurt Locker) The acting is good as well as Jessica Chastain gives a solid leading performance that stands out from the overwhelming amount of characters. The most impressive and also controversial scene is the killing of Osama bin Laden. I have a feeling it may not be 100 percent accurate but from a purely cinematic perspective it was stunning. The last 30-40 minutes of the film sucked me in and I could not take my eyes off of the screen. ( Also I'm listening to the soundtrack right now and it is pretty awesome as well!)

The Bad-

This had to be a very tough story to tell as it spans over a decade and thus is somewhat disjointed at times. It was also difficult to keep track of the many different characters and names that are thrown at you so as I really had to stay attentive at all times. Outside of those complaints the only other problem people have with it was the torture scene and the final scene which I actually liked.

Summary-

Zero Dark Thirty is definitely a film that I think you need to see more than once to fully comprehend. That being said on my first viewing I really enjoyed it and recommend it to all film fans. Just keep an open mind and don't tune out because of the controversy surrounding it. While I think Django Unchained and Argo are more deserving of Best Picture this is worthy of being nominated.

MY RATING- 4.5 out of 5

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment