Saturday, August 25, 2012

Chris Reviews Premium Rush

This is one of those spur of the moment movies for me. I really had not been anticipating this at all and had no expectations for what I wanted it to be. I went because Kevin can get us into movies for free and it looked mildly interesting. Was it worth the hour and half investment? Read below to find out. 

The Good-

This is a slick looking well placed thriller that brings a unique concept on to screen.Yes the story is somewhat formulaic but the biking element gives this a very distinct feel that has not been done before and that alone makes it worth a watch. Joseph Gordon Levitt is solid but gets overshadowed by a fantastic performance by Michael Shannon. This made me particularly happy because I came to see this movie to get an idea of what he will be like as the villain in Man of Steel. After seeing this I am anticipating that movie even more now. It is also refreshing to see a PG-13 action movie that does not feel restrained. Often times PG-13 action feels like they are holding back to get that rating but this does everything it needs to and really can be watched by anyone at any age.

The Bad-

I didn't find anything to be glaringly bad but nothing stood out as fantastic either. While Joseph Gordon Levitt was solid, he really didn't stand out in this film. The storytelling was a bit chaotic although it did not bother me that much but I think the main issue is the somewhat formulaic plot even if it is in a new setting.

Summary-

All in all this was a solid thriller that was well worth seeing. It has some interesting looking bike chase scenes that are somewhat cool, a unique concept and a great performance from Michael Shannon. The film suffers from a formulaic plot, chaotic storytelling and an average performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt. Is the film worth seeing in the theaters? The best I can say is maybe, because I'm not sure I would have gone to see it if I had to pay. (Wow Kevin and I have the same rating for 2 movies in a row!)

MY RATING

3.5 out of 5

Chris "Da Franchize" Hart          

No comments:

Post a Comment