Sunday, January 19, 2014

Chris Reviews Her

This is the first movie I've gotten a chance to see in theaters this year. I only heard about it a month ago when I saw a trailer before Saving Mr. Banks and the premise of a man falling in love with a operating system really intrigued me so it instantly went on my watch list. My interest only increased when I heard very good reviews from friends and seeing that it had been nominated for several Academy Awards including Best Picture. So did this live up to my expectations or was it another over hyped and mediocre oscar nominee? Keep reading to find out.......

The Good-

This is an extremely well written film that goes pretty deep in its exploration of human relationships. While I cannot personally relate to everything the film goes into, I still found it very engaging. I also really enjoyed the performances, especially Joaquin Phoenix who gives a very authentic performance that the viewer can really relate to. The writing and acting  really help accentuate a very good science fiction story. It is a very minimalist Sci-fi film from a visual standpoint but it seems very realistic as all the technology in the film feels like a natural progression from what things are like now. That is what I think this film does the best at in that it tells a good Science Fiction story while also being able to hook people who would not normally be into the genre.

The Bad-

The only problem I could see people having with this film is that it's very dialogue driven and is paced fairly slow. This is definitely more of an Indie Sci-fi/Drama so the average Transformers fan is not going to like it. 

Summary-

I definitely understand why this got some award consideration and why everyone I have talked to about it has liked it. If you are looking for a film that has a little bit of Sci-fi, a little bit of Romance and  something to say about humanity then you should definitely check this out. Overall a great film that is a good start to my 2014 movie going experience!

MY RATING- 

4 out of 5

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment