Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Chris Reviews The Heat

I'm going to be honest, I really had no desire to see this film. I have never been a fan of Melissa McCarthy because she uses the fat/gross out humor in every role she plays, the story looked generic as hell and Sandra Bullock has never been an actress that I particularly liked. Despite all of that I went because my Grandma really wanted to see it and that's what good Grandsons do. Did this film play out exactly as I expected or was it a pleasant surprise? As usual you should read below to find out....

The Good-

This was a competently made action/comedy film that was solidly entertaining throughout. There were several jokes that worked well and had me laughing out loud. I actually liked Sandra Bullock in this as well which is probably a first. My favorite part of the film were the usual comedy film cameos, specifically Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as a Eastern European hooker/drug dealer and Thomas F. Wilson (Back to the Future) as the police chief.

The Bad-

This is about as formulaic as a buddy cop film can get. It really does not break any new ground with the exception of the struggles of women in the police force story line. It telegraphs every plot line so badly that there really is no suspense throughout. There are also a number of bad jokes that just annoyed me (The Albino guy in particular) and Melissa McCarthy is still one of my least favorite actresses in Hollywood. She plays the exact same character you have ever seen her in and it is not one that I like.

Summary-

This film was much better than I expected but It also had every problem that I expected it would have. Is it the worst movie I have seen this year? No, but it is yet another mediocre film that 2013 has been so generous in giving us. I would only recommend this if you are seeing it at the cheap theater or getting it at Red Box.

MY RATING-

3 out of 5

-Chris "Da Franchize" Hart
 

No comments:

Post a Comment