Monday, March 25, 2013

Chris Reviews Olympus Has Fallen

Everyone should know about my love for cheesy, over the top action films by now. Yes I love films like Independence Day and Airforce One, so when you heard about this movie coming out you had to expect me to go and see it. The real question is, did it suck like the majority of movies that have come out this year or was it a bit of nostalgic action fun?

The Good-

This was actually a lot of fun! It reminded me a lot of the big budget action films from the 90's like Airforce One and Independence Day. If you can get passed the extremely unrealistic premise there is a lot to like from a purely entertainment perspective. Gerard Butler gives a pretty bad ass performance with a good collection of one liners. The action scenes are impressive and engaging albeit overly dramatic. I think the main thing that made it work for me though is that the film knew what it was and had fun with it. Also I guess North Korea has replaced the Soviet Union as the bad guys in action movies now with this and Red Dawn both using them as the villains.

The Bad-

 It is extremely over the top, unrealistic and overly dramatic. For those who are looking for a "good movie" stay away from this film. The acting is not very good, there are quite a few plot holes and several very ridiculous situations. I can understand why some people would not like this film at all.

Summary-

At best this is a B movie but its the kind of B movie that I really enjoy. I came in without any expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Is this a movie that I will remember a few weeks from now, probably not but I had a good time when I watched it and that's what matters. All in all this is a movie that should please the average moviegoer but will not fare well with the critics. Recommend for those into campy, cheesy action movies!

MY RATING-

3.5 out of 5

Chris "Da Franchize" Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment