Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kevin Reviews Lincoln

I'm not a history buff, so I didn't expect to love Lincoln. However, there are a lot of good qualities about this film that make it worth a watch.

First and foremost, Daniel Day-Lewis is phenomenal in this film. You can tell he did a lot to immerse himself in the role of Abraham Lincoln. I won't be surprised if Daniel Day-Lewis wins an Oscar for his performance in this film. Secondly, I loved the star-studded cast of this film: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (obviously, if you haven't already learned he is my favorite actor), James Spader, Tommy Lee Jones, and even Walton Goggins (one of my favorite actors from FX's The Shield). For the most part, the performances from the supporting actors were also good. I was getting the vibe that Tommy Lee Jones was not into this film. His performance seemed tired and jaded. I think in general he is becoming burnt out with acting, and his acting days may be over soon. 

While the acting was great, that's about the only memorable thing in this film for me. If you are a history buff or are really into politics, you may really enjoy this film, but I am neither. This was part of why it was difficult to engage myself in this film too much. Also, I think Spielberg shouldn't have made this film. His time could be spent better elsewhere, and this didn't look or feel like Spielberg's work. My final complaint is the ending. "Spoiler" alert: after Lincoln dies, the camera pans to a flame, which dissolves into Lincoln as he gives a final speech. While I think this method is extremely cliched, it can be done if done the right way. But the whole "the legacy lives on" approach was extremely melodramatic and trite, which left me with a bad feeling in my stomach and left me rolling my eyes as I left the theater. 

Overall, Lincoln is worth your time if you are a history buff or a hardcore Spielberg fan. If you're not, you may want to spend your money on something else. 

MY RATING:

3 out of 5

-Kevin A. Millward

1 comment:

  1. Booo! This deserves a 5 out of 5

    Spoiler Alert: He dies!

    ReplyDelete